Sunday, June 15, 2008

Addendum: Spicy Sichuan Beef

Tonight I had a BBQ at my parent's house in honor of my friend Lyn and her husband Adam who are visiting from New Hampshire. I meant to take lots of pictures. Made sure to put my camera in my bag and pulled it out when I got to the house. But alas, somehow the whole evening passed without my taking even one shot. I probably should have remembered to bring my camera outside with me if I was planning on taking pictures.

Anyway, aside from being bummed that I didn't get any pictures of their kids, or even of us, I'm also bummed because I had meant to take a picture of one of the items I prepared. I decided to BBQ kebabs, and found a couple of recipes online that looked good. But thinking back on one of my last posts, I also really wanted to try grilling steak with the Hoisin sauce from the Spicy Sichuan Beef

I ended up trying it out on a steak kebab. I don't really have a recipe, because I just worked off of the sauce from the Sichuan Beef post. I used jalapenos this time, but totally cut out the spice by removing the ribbing and seeds (my parents have been frustrated with me of late because they claim everything I cook is too spicy for them to eat). I finely chopped the peppers and sauteed them in a little bit of oil with some grated ginger and finely minced garlic. After about 5 minutes I added approximately 1/3 c. Hoisin Sauce, mixed well, and let it cook for a few minutes more. I then let it cool. I cut the steak into cubes and about an hour before I wanted to put it on the grill I mixed it with the Hoisin sauce in a Ziploc bag. Before grilling I slid the meat onto skewers and then grilled 'til done. Everyone loved them. Very tasty. So I definitely recommend this method of preparation. You could easily add some veggies to the kebab (any kind of pepper would be good). Last note, I didn't use the Sichuan salt and pepper because I didn't want the mouth-numbing flavor. If you like that taste and have some of that mix lying around, I'd recommend sprinkling it on the kebabs when they come off the grill.

1 comment:

Adam said...

It was definitely some good eatin' :)